Thursday, December 4, 2008

12/3/08 - 400 Bar - Minneapolis

Set:
| Poet (Who Didn't Know It) | Last Night | I'm a Bad Mamma Jamma (Who Works at Wendy's) | M'Lady | Lady Madonna [The Beatles] | Clone You | The Date | Chosen Ones | Good Vibes | Aphrodite | Jumpstart My Rocket |


We had a show last night and we had a show tonight. There's a bit of a personal story that goes along with tonight. My (tony's) family is in town for awhile, but not for anything fun. My niece is undergoing some pretty serious surgery and everyone's here for that. Well, we (my family and I) spent all day at the hospital while she was in surgery and the plan was that at about seven o'clock or so, I would leave the hospital, grab a bite, load my drums and head the 400 Bar. My body had other plans though, you see.

Many of you may or may not know that I have had a history of recurring testicular pain issues. Well, today while I was at the hospital, I got hit hard by it, and out of the blue. Each step I took felt like a kick to the groin. The pain was so bad, I nearly vomited. Normally, when this happens, if I sit completely still, it subsides and eventually goes away. Not today.

Well, what better place to have a medical issue than in a hospital? I sat in a wheelchair and my wife and mother accompanied me to the emergency room. I sent my mom back up to the rest of the family, and Liza stayed with me. I looked at the time and realized it was getting pretty late. I was really cutting it close if I wanted to play the show. The doctor thought he knew exactly what it was. After an examination, he diagnosed me, but said that I would need an ultrasound to determine whether it was something more severe and urgent. The clock kept tickin'. I texted the guys and told them what was up. They were really cool about it, saying that they'd make it without me and wished me luck.

Long story short, I underwent a scrotal ultrasound and everything checked out. It just turns out that one of my guys has a tendency to twist and the doctor gave me some tips on that and remedied the pain without drugs.

Anyway... enough about my balls.

After I was discharged, I got into my van and called the boys, who were obviously at the 400 Bar. I said I was on my way, but I had to stop at home for the setlist and my sticks. I asked if it was possible to use a drum kit that was there, since there was no friggin' way I was going to be able to load and set up mine in my condition or this amount of time. Nick talked to Burnin' Hyder who was onstage at the time of the call, and worked it out.

I pulled up to the 400 Bar, found some parking (which may have been illegal parking) and booked it into the venue. By the time I got there and got inside, Dustin, Anthony and Nick were all onstage, finishing up their tuning and nearly ready to go. I hopped up on stage, took off my coat sat behind Burnin' Hyder's kit and was ready to go.

We ripped through an energetic "Poet" to start out the set and I addressed the crowd. "I just had my testicles ultrasounded. What did you do tonight?" Anthony added that this was not a sexual euphemism. I further added that this was correct. "I actually had the blue goo on my balls while the dude at the machine ran the instrument over them."

But... enough about my balls.

We played a killer set tonight. We really did. It was full of energy and you would have never known without seeing the hospital bracelet on my wrist that only twenty minutes previous I had been a patient in the ER. We ripped it down something fierce and everyone had a good time.

I'm a professional, dang it. Ain't no twisticle gonna keep me from rockin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment