Tuesday, December 16, 2008

12/15/08 - Trocadero's - Minneapolis

Set:
| Pay the Toll to Ride the Junebug Flow | Poet (Who Didn't Know It) | I'm a Bad MammaJamma (Who Works at Wendy's) | M'Lady | Downtown Liquor Store | Last Night | Chosen Ones | Lady Madonna [The Beatles] | Damn the Man | Gamma Ray [Beck] | A Junebug Christmas | Jumpstart My Rocket |


We were asked to play tonight by our friends in My Lady Four at Trocadero's in Minneapolis. When I (tony) first walked in, I thought this was a really classy looking joint. There were white columns and what looked like a marble floor. Upon first impression, I thought it might have been too upscale a place for us. But then I saw a Brett Michaels 'coming soon' poster on the wall, and all my concerns were assuaged.

That type of awesomeness continued when the door person called me over and asked me who was in charge. I asked what she meant and she said, "Who's the promoter of this show?" I said there wasn't a promoter, and her mind was blown. Apparently, we were supposed to provide someone to run the door. They would check IDs and our person would collect money. This was news to us, so we just cancelled the cover. It turns out that it didn't matter. There wasn't much of a crowd at all, and by the time we were on, the only people there were Liza, Katie, Rory and the My Lady Four guys. We blame the snow, which was really comin' down.

As the reader may or may not know, we were scheduled to play a show in Fargo a couple days ago, but there was a nasty blizzard that put the kibosh on it. So tonight we decided we'd play the setlist that was intended for Fargo. Our Fargo set was intended to be a bit longer, so we picked and chose from it.

Included on that set was a Junebug rarity entitled "A Junebug Christmas". Many years ago, Anthony and I decided that since so many bands were writing holiday songs at the time that we should as well. So Dustin played a riff similar to "Happy Trails" and Anthony and I wrote some lyrics. What resulted is our own holiday song that only rears its head once a year, if even that often. Those present tonight were treated to it.

Furthermore, we played our new edit of "Downtown Liquor Store". We've been working on condensing it, since it's a pretty long tune, and I think our new version works.

They gave us free pizza and beer tonight, including a cheese pizza for Liza and me, which was very great. The band room was very large and spacious, with a bathrooom, which is always nice. The hallway leading to the band room was lined with 8x10 portraits of the various artists who have played there. Newest addition - Junebug? Not likely. Rock and roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment