Saturday, September 14, 2013

9/14/13 - Memory Lanes - Minneapolis

Set:
| Hell-Bent Woman | Destiny, She Drives a Rolls | Poet (Who Didn't Know It) | All the Young Dudes [David Bowie] | Moon Over the Water | Beards | Mystic Princess | Fluffy Little Hands | Time [Pink Floyd] | Heaven's Just a Mystery |



Poster designed by
Tony L. Kollman
We've been saying that this was going to be our last show of the summer. It really seemed like the first show of the fall. The temperature was in the 50s and it was cloudy and raining. I was happy I had my jacket with me.

Memory Lanes is always fun. It's a bowling alley and they set up the stage right over a few of the lanes. People are literally bowling right next to the stage, with that familiar thud... rumble... crash, in the midst of your performance. It's fun. 

We played tonight with two other bands that we've played with before. Moving Parts and What Tyrants always put on a good performance. All three bands are a really good fit for a solid night of rock and roll.

What Tyrants performs on the Memory
Lanes stage as patrons bowl
We only had a forty-five minute set tonight, but we wanted to pack in as much as we could. The setlist that was written could have easily filled an hour, but we cut down on the between-song banter and only cut one tune. We brought life to that old mantra, "Less talk, more rock."

Everyone used Moving Parts' drumkit, which ended up being a minor challenge for me. No rack toms and only one crash cymbal. It's quite different from what I play, so there was a lot of on-the-fly split-second decision making. Sometimes I would fall into the song and give myself over to muscle memory, but then, oops. There's no drum there. Oops. I just dropped a beat. But that's okay. I made some different choices in some songs and they worked out well. It's nice to be challenged once in awhile. 

Thanks for a great spring and summer, Junebuggers! We're not necessarily done with live shows for the year. I'm sure we'll play more, but we have already begun work on rehearsing the material for our next album Stan. There's more to come! Stay with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment