Friday, July 19, 2013

7/19/13 - Fine Line Music Cafe - Minneapolis

Set:
| Beards | Destiny, She Drives a Rolls | Handlebar Mustache | All the Young Dudes [David Bowie] | Hell-Bent Woman | Mystic Princess | Fluffy Little Hands | Heaven's Just a Mystery |



Tonight we had the pleasure of closing out July Fighter's CD release show. July Fighter are pals of ours from a few years back. In fact, their drummer, Jin, is a fellow Aberdeen transplant. He went to Northern State University, like we did, and he used to teach my wife's younger brother drum lessons. After moving to the Twin Cities, I also would see him around IPR from time to time, since he was the drummer for the late great Bruce McLaughlin who was producing his album during that time. 

At any rate, it was good to see Jin tonight. And he offered to let me use his drum kit. His kit is a much different setup than mine, but the other bands were using it and I didn't want to be that guy. It was a good decision. And I really enjoyed his dampening technique on his toms. Some people tape tissue to the drums. Jin uses maxi pads. Sounds silly, and I thought so at first, but those things work. They're self-adhesive and they dampen well. His drums sound great. If you're a cashier and I purchase maxi pads from you, don't judge.

I've said it before, but the Fine Line is always a great venue to play. Finding parking can be a little tough on Twins game days like today, since the ballpark is literally blocks away, but we manage. The sound there is always good and the space is fun. July Fighter drew a really nice crowd for this show, too, and most of them stayed for our closing set as well. It was good to get our new songs in front of a new crowd that hadn't heard us before. We played all stuff from Beards aside from a David Bowie cover. It seemed to go over well. I felt good.

It was fun to be downstairs in the band rooms. People who play there often sign the walls. Of course, there are some pranksters who sign names as jokes. I don't think Beyonce has actually played the Fine Line recently, but her name was in the rafters. I enjoyed finding the space which I signed for us when we played our Share CD release there back in October of 2008. It reads "Junebug is your mom... whatever that means." It's still there, loud and proud, with many new scrawls surrounding it. 

Someone said they also saw our former bassist Nick there tonight. He's friends with Jimmy from July Fighter. I didn't get a chance to see him. I would have loved to have said hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment