Saturday, January 16, 2010

1/15/10 - Whiskey Junction - Minneapolis

Set:
| Pay the Toll to Ride the Junebug Flow | Last Night | Modern Day Fairy Tales | Downtown Liquor Store | Damn the Man | Casanova | Poet (Who Didn't Know It) | Crossroads | Found My Boogie | I'm a Bad Mamma Jamma (Who Works at Wendy's) | Chosen Ones | Jumpstart My Rocket |


It was another good show at Whiskey Junction. This was our first show in the brand new year 2010. Furthermore it was our second show with great Twin Cities band, Burnin' Hyder. Plus, it was a reunion of Nick's old band, Stereoscope. And finally, it was Nick's 52nd birthday! Okay, he's not 52. And I don't think anybody heard me (tony) when I announced it from stage. So I'm safe.

We started the year off well, with a really fun, and high octane show. We kept it light-hearted and we kept it fun, which is what we are all about. The crowd was sizable for the Whiskey, and they liked what we were bringing. There was drinking and dancing, and one young lady was wearing a Junebug t-shirt. We can definitely get behind that.

Brian "Carp" Carpenter was invited on stage tonight to freestyle during "Casanova." In the midst of it, drink in hand, he made a prediction that tomorrow the Vikings will defeat the heavily favored Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs, which elicited cheers from the crowd, and from me. [Note: The Vikings did indeed beat the Cowboys the next day, quite handily. So it seems Carp was a bit clairvoyant in the middle of our goof-off song.]

There was one particular lady in the crowd so inspired by Carp's participation that she wanted to come onstage and join us as well. She kept asking if we had a shaker or maracas or a tambourine. Heck, if I had had any of those things with me, we would have let her jump up with us. As it was, she was bummed. But I'm pretty sure she still enjoyed the rest of the show.

There is one particular dude that we have seen many places. He was at the Cabooze both times we played there and the same with Bunkers. He has also been at the Whiskey the last two times we've played there. He wears a hat and he lets the music move him. He dances like no one's watching. For those who know our friend Rory Behrens, he is what I imagine Rory will be like in twenty years. I don't know this man's name, but he always has a blast at our shows. So if you ever read this, hat-man, keep coming to our shows. We love to see you.

Well, our frivolity continued. Before a particular song, Dustin tantalized the crowd. "Before we play this next song, I just have to ask you people a question -- Was anybody here BORN IN THE USA?!?" There was a smattering of cheers and applause. "Okay, well... here comes 'Found My Boogie.'"

Likewise, more toward the end of the night, I said, "How many of you here have a special lady in your life? A lady who might have brown eyes? A BROWN-EYED GIRL?!?" Very little reaction. "Cool, well here comes 'Chosen Ones.'" It's a well known fact, you know, that jokes get funnier on repetition. Solid fact.

Anyway, this was our last Twin Cities show until after our studio sessions next month. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment