Saturday, August 15, 2009

8/14/09 - Murphy's - Arnold's Park, Iowa

Set:
| Pay the Toll to Ride the Junebug Flow | Poet (Who Didn't Know It) | The Date | M'Lady | Place | Last Night | Golden Girls Theme [Andrew Gold] | Refrigerator | Like a Spy (Not the Stalker) | Downtown Liquor Store | I'm a Bad Mamma Jamma (Who Works at Wendy's) | Found My Boogie | Lady Madonna [The Beatles] | Chosen Ones | Damn the Man | Good Vibes | Crossroads | Clone You | Sledgehammer [Peter Gabriel] | Jumpstart My Rocket |


Arnold's Park, Iowa is a small resort town located right next to the town of Okoboji, right on Lake Okoboji. The town has a rich history, with an amusement park that is over one hundred years old, complete with a rickety wooden roller coaster (see the video below). Spending any time in this area gives you the idea that it's really only a summer town. The place is probably pretty near deserted in the winter months. But I suppose there's probably decent ice fishing on the lake, so I might not know what the hell I'm talking about.

The Isles asked us to play a weekend in Arnold's Park with them at a bar called Murphy's. Well, we'd be crazy to turn down a weekend on the road with The Isles, because those cats know how to put on a show and we always have a good time with them.

We knew as soon as we walked in that it was going to be a good weekend. Right after we entered the bar, our eyes were drawn to a television screen which was playing Harold & Kumar Go to Whitecastle, right at a bare boobies scene. If that's not a good omen, nothing is. Come on. Boobies.

We loaded our gear in. My gear was minimal since we were sharing The Isles' drum kit. All I loaded in was my cymbal bag, stick bag, and merch box, then I was free to go relax until showtime.

My wife and I grabbed some nachos and beers at the bar next door. I forget the name of it, but it was some Texas grill type place. Dustin later joined us, right up until our call time.

It was a pretty solid show. I personally felt a bit shaky tonight, but I was assured that it all sounded good from the crowd. The energy was fine, and people were there drinking and enjoying the atmosphere. It was pretty typical as far as Junebug sets go. Nice and steady and bangin'. Nothing too abnormal to report.

After we were done, The Isles started and the place packed out. They pretty much ruled, like they always do. Nobody gets me dancing at shows the way they do. I had a blast during their set.

We're both here tomorrow night, too. We'll check out some of the sites and recreation tomorrow and then rock some more tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment