Saturday, March 19, 2011

3/18/11 - Memory Lanes - Minneapolis

Set:
| Poet (Who Didn't Know It) | Modern Day Fairy Tales | Come Together [The Beatles] | Casanova | I'm a Bad Mamma Jamma (Who Works at Wendy's) | Clone You | Law & Order Theme [Mike Post] | On the Sidewalk | Hell-Bent Woman | Jumpstart My Rocket | I Am the Walrus [The Beatles] |


Tonight we returned to Memory Lanes in Minneapolis. In case you didn't know or guess by the name, Memory Lanes is a bowling alley. The stage is set up right over the lanes, and while we rock, you bowl. Rock 'n' Bowl? Maybe there's a future business venture in that. Anyhow, I have to say it's pretty interesting to finish a song, and before you hear any cheering or anything you hear bowling pins behind knocked down. And sometimes there's no applause at all. I mean, people are there to bowl after all. (For example, see the video below.)

We started it out with "Poet" and ever since we decided to switch it up a tiny bit, it's had more energy. It's now much better as a show opener. Next, I wanted our pal Robb to use my iPod to record video of our performance of "Come Together." But when it was time to start the song, I had no idea where he was. I couldn't see him. I thought maybe he stepped out for a cig or stepped in for a whiz. So I said to play "Modern Day" instead, which we did. Immediately after it started, I looked out and saw Robb directly in front of us with the camera rolling. Sometimes I truly am an idiot. As it turned out, we played it next and he got it. The video exists here on this page.

What is it with the drumkit technical difficulties lately? It happened again tonight. But this time it was the feet on my kick drum. Is it time for a new drum kit? Probably. Can I afford it? Probably not. Anyway, I was a pro and fixed it lickety split. I apologized for the technical difficulties and returned the bowlers to their regularly scheduled program.

After "On the Sidewalk," Anthony said, "That one's going out to Paul Simon, wherever he is." "He's on a beach somewhere, probably," I replied, "with James Taylor." Dustin added, "Didn't he just retire? Or was that Phil Collins? I get them mixed up." It was Phil Collins.

Tonight we debuted a brand new song that you've never heard before. It'll be included on the upcoming Beards project. "This next song we've never played," Anthony expained, "it's brand new. It's called 'Hell-Bent Woman,' it's about women -- how they make you crazy. It's going out to my girlfriend."

After "Jumpstart" tonight, Anthony informed our loyal cheering section that we love them, "like nylon loves the other side of nylon." "Did you mean Velcro," I asked. "Maybe. Either way I like it."

We closed tonight with the debut of our brand new rendition of the Beatles classic tune, "I Am the Walrus." It was a little shaky at the start, but we got into it and really got it rockin'. If you weren't there tonight, you'll probably get a chance to hear it later. We're not giving this one up any time soon. I really like this one.

Tonight we had a loyal cheering section sitting at one of the front tables. They were cheering and singing along, shooting video and taking pictures. These people are priceless. If everyone could be as enthusiastic about what we do as these fine ladies and gentlemen, life would be grand. Thanks for the love, people.

Photos by Rachel Blazinski
Video by Robb Main

No comments:

Post a Comment