Sunday, April 18, 2010

4/17/10 - Red Sky Lounge - Mankato, Minn.

Set One: | Poet (Who Didn't Know It) | Come Together [The Beatles] | Casanova | M'Lady | Downtown Liquor Store | Last Night | Crossroads | Damn the Man | Aphrodite | Sledgehammer [Peter Gabriel] |

Set Two: | Pay the Toll to Ride the Junebug Flow | I'm a Bad Mamma Jamma (Who Works at Wendy's) | Lady Madonna [The Beatles | Chosen Ones | Found My Boogie | The Date | Say It Ain't So [Weezer] | Like a Spy (Not the Stalker) | Modern Day Fairy Tales | Clone You | Jumpstart My Rocket |


Again we rolled into Mankato, ready to rock and ready to roll. We had never played the Red Sky Lounge before tonight. It looked less like a music venue and more like a semi-swanky night club. I could see the ladies in short skirts milling about waiting for the party to get thumpin'. But alas, it was a rock and roll night. They may have been disappointed, but I'm not too cut up about it.

We all arrived and loaded in and decided to go grab a bite to eat at a bar and lounge down the block. We had some beers, some good visitin', and good camaradarie time with all of us boys and our ladies.

It was at this time that we were approached at our table by a young lady. A very young lady. She was a girl scout. In a bar. It was okay, though, her mom was with her and she was selling cookies. She was pretty adorable and we had all had just enough drinks to really have a hankerin' for some tasty girl scout cookies. We all bought some and also promised not to tell anyone that she sold them in a bar. I guess I broke that promise just now, but we never got any names. So no one's in trouble and we ate some cookies. Everyone wins.

Originally The Islez were scheduled to play with us tonight, but it wasn't in the cards. They ceased their operations before the night arrived. We got back to the venue just in time to catch the start of My Lady Four, our friends and the Islez's replacement.

Between bands, I was warned by Carp (ML4's drummer) that I was going to need to play lightly because the acoustics of this room really bring out the drums - maybe a little too much. Then a friend of ours in the crowd, also a drummer, named Tony Bartholomew warned me of the same thing. Then Nick mentioned it to me. As did the sound guy. Finally, Anthony took me aside and said it was really important that I play lightly tonight. So, I'm pretty sure I got the picture, believe it or not. So I got on stage and played lightly. I could barely hear my snare drum myself so I decided to just go easy on the cymbals. During our set break, I was told my drum volume sounded fine. I continued to play normally.

Our second set began with a disclaimer from Anthony: "This second [set] is going to be a lot more offensive. So if you don't want offensive, go home and watch Grey's Anatomy, you f-cks!" You stay classy, Junebug.

Folks were having a lot of fun tonight. Our friend Tony B., whom I mentioned earlier was having a grand old time. He was dancing, singing, screaming and generally doing what people do when they have fun. If only there were about five of him in every crowd...

However, Dustin's girlfriend Sarah nearly got kicked out of the venue. Sometime during the second set, Sarah went to a soft bench seat to lay down and wait out the rest of the show. A bouncer came over to her and, assuming she was wasted, told her that she couldn't sleep there and she'd have to leave. She didn't though. It all worked out.

As we played our show tonight, the televisions on the wall kept running, complete with closed captioning. Normally in a situation like that, the televisions would be broadcasting some sporting event or sports highlight show. Not these. The patrons of the Red Sky Lounge were being treated to CSI while they listened to our music. There was a television very near to the drumkit, actually, and I found myself drifting into drumming auto-pilot while I watched the program and read the captions. It wasn't very good, and as I announced to the crowd, "we provide a really shitty soundtrack to CSI."

It's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment