Sunday, October 25, 2009

10/24/09 - The Terminal - Minneapolis

Set:
| Pay the Toll to Ride the Junebug Flow | Modern Day Fairy Tales | Last Night | M'Lady | Poet (Who Didn't Know It) | Casanova | Clone You | Chosen Ones | Found My Boogie | I'm a Bad Mamma Jamma (Who Works at Wendy's) | Jumpstart My Rocket | Damn the Man |


Tonight Dustin was able to join us on stage! He was still not at 100%, with a bit of flu-fatigue left over, but he was able to play, and that was a very good thing. He didn't sing, though. But it was fine. We had his guitar contributions. When we took stage, he addressed the crowd: "We are Junebug and we can prove it."

Before the show started, however, I experienced a bit of a technical difficulty. As I was putting together all my hardware, I pulled my kick pedal out of the bag and it fell apart - fully. In two pieces. Well, it seems that the pin that attaches the pull chain to the pedal itself had decided to take a permanent vacation. Luckily, Nick went on a mission and found that one of the bartenders had a safety pin. It did the trick.

Anthony introduced us, saying that we're huge in Korea and South Carolina. So if you're in either of those markets, you're probably familiar with us.

We had a pretty decent crowd tonight. It was surely better than the last time we played the Terminal. A number of folks were there for the other bands appearing tonight; Spy Johnson and The Early Effect. There was a good amount of foot traffic as well. People were drinkin' and dancin' and it was all right by me.

Our friend and video producer, Cody Tesnow, was in the house tonight. Anthony announced publicly that Cody is working on the video for "Jumpstart My Rocket" which has been in the works for awhile. Strangely, the track isn't even recorded yet, but the video is in production. So there's some fun news for you. Cody made his presence further known later in the night. Anthony, in announcing a particularly funky song of ours, said that he'd like to see some asses on the dance floor. Well, Cody responded in true form. He came up to the stage, turned his back to us, pulled his pants down and literally showed us his ass while on the dance floor. We were overwhelmed. Nick informed him, however, that he had missed a spot.

We played "Casanova" tonight, and there's a section in the song in which we often invite someone from the crowd to come up and freestyle. Well, no one took the bait tonight, so Anthony filled in with a classic. You see, a couple years ago, we played the song in Aberdeen, South Dakota and an awesome lady named Cheryl came up to freestyle. Her verse went as follows: "Rap, rap, rap, rap, rap. Oh yeah! Rap, rap, rap, rap, OH YEAH!" This performance was repeated by Anthony tonight. Classic.

Tonight, I (tony) did something unprecedented in the history of Junebug shows. I left the stage in the middle of the set to use the restroom. But here's the thing. It truly was an emergency situation as far as my bladder was concerned. One more cymbal crash and I'd have been done. Anthony had stopped to tune his guitar as he often does. This sometimes takes a long time. So I jumped down and took three steps to the men's room. I did my business and made it back to my drum throne in exactly 56 seconds. Not too shabby. Because, my friends, I am a professional.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment