Saturday, August 8, 2009

8/7/09 - O'Gara's Garage - St. Paul

Set:
| Pay the Toll to Ride the Junebug Flow | Good Vibes | Last Night | I'm a Bad Mamma Jamma (Who Works at Wendy's) | Found My Boogie | M'Lady | Place | Chosen Ones | Damn the Man | Jumpstart My Rocket |


Tonight we were invited by Twin Cities band (and all around nice guys), Jug, to open the show at O'Gara's Garage in Saint Paul. Fresh off the Fox 9 Battle of the Bands, we were ready to rock full force with a full set.

The setup process was fraught with drama. I (tony) had been made aware that there was going to be one drum kit to share. It's not my preferred situation, as you probably know, but I was resigned to it. However, I still had all my gear in my car from last night's show at the Fine Line. When I arrived, Jug's drummer and I were in discussion and I got the idea that though he offered the use of his kit, he understandably didn't really want stuff moved around too much. He mentioned the possibility of me setting up my kit in front of his to alleviate all discomforts. I thought this was a good idea, so I specifically asked the sound guy if this was something that would be okay. He said it was fine. In fact, he said it was peachy. I took him at his word. I loaded my gear in, put it all together, and when Jug finished their soundcheck, Soundguy told me to set up. So I did. Then when it came time to mic the kit, apparently the sky fell. Soundguy seemed upset about something. He informed me impatiently that he only had one set of lines for drum mics (Jug's drummer had his own mics) and he indicated that I was making his life difficult and that we were a pain in his ass. I told him that I didn't know about the line situation but that was why I had asked ahead of time. One of Jug's guys offered to bring in his own cables, but Soundguy quickly shot this down. He continued laboring, sighing and muttering things about either me or the situation (I didn't catch which) being stupid. I said, "I asked if this was okay and you said yes." "Yeah, but I thought you'd think it was too much of a hassle and not do it," he replied. "Well, you said it was okay, man. I'm just going by what you said. That's why I asked." I went on to explain that had he said it wasn't cool, we would have figured something else out. Nick and Dustin tried to smoothe things over by telling him that in putting on a good show, we're all on the same team, but he said he felt he was on the opposition and angrily said again that we were a pain in the ass. After he told me that he damn well better hear some excellent drumming, we got the show underway. It was too much drama, really. But afterward, I think he felt bad. He told me I sounded good and he later conveyed apologies to Nick for his attitude. So that counts for a lot. You have to give him credit for that. He also told Anthony that we sounded like Weezer meets Zappa. We all agreed that we'll take that.

It was a pretty decent set. Sadly, I'm not too sure if the crowd wasn't too much into it. But we're pros. When the chips are down, we bring it. We give our all no matter what, because you never know who is going to hear you. We rocked it, rolled it, funked it and everything in between.

We played "Place" tonight, which has become a bit of a live rarity. We went for it, and during the intro I was able to snap a photo of Dustin and upload it to Facebook/MySpace from the stage before I came in on drums. The picture can be seen above.

Our band has been cursed with string breakage lately. Tonight it was Anthony. It threw him off a bit psychologically, but he still sounded good. It just diminished some of his morale, I think. But we finished out our set with "Damn the Man" and "Jumpstart", two solid, rockin' tunes.

Tonight's show was actually pretty solid. We took the negative energy from before the show and transformed it into gooey, chewy rock goodness. Our energy was really good, as usual, in spite of any setbacks. Anyone who chose not to come out to this one truly missed something good. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment